Wednesday, December 1, 2010

the season of advent

this is quite possibly my favorite time of year: our lovely home has been festively decorated, christmas music plays regularly, and the holidays filled with family and friends (and no school!) linger up ahead. I have always loved and eagerly anticipated the Christmas season.

but for me this year, advent is somehow bursting with more energy and meaning than ever before. I am utterly mesmerized by the promises of advent, the hope and desire and the ways this season has opened and softened my heart. I'm learning so much about God: his goodness and his love, his ability to have a much better plan for us then we may have designed for ourselves, and his power to make all things new. this season is overflowing with potential for each one of us- this is our time to anticipate, tune in, be still and listen for God's presence now. and now. and now.

Frederik Beuchner says:
"The extraordinary thing that is about to happen is matched only by the extraordinary moment just before it happens. Advent is the name of that moment."

No comments:

Post a Comment